Monday, October 10, 2011

The new law

Let's do some imagining.

A new law has been made. It has all of these parts:

-You shall have no other gods before the One Living God (that means you can't idolize money, celebrities, TV shows, iDevices, or anything else)
-You cannot have any idols
-You shall not use God's name in vain
-You must observe the Sabbath as holy (this means taking time to honor God and spending time worshipping and loving Him)
-You must honor your parents (only speak respectful words to them, obey them in whatever they ask you to do, etc.)
-You can't kill people (and BTW - hating people is just as bad)
-You shall not commit adultery
-You shall not steal (not even just an MP3 file online)
-You shall not lie (not even a really small lie)
-You shall not covet anything (that means wanting something that someone else has)
-You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor

Do you think anyone could live up to this new law? Here's what happens: everyone "breaks the law". They all sin, by doing something that this law forbids. Some people ignore the law altogether, and some try their hardest but just can't make it. Everyone sins.

What happens? Well the Bible, the book that all these laws came from, says that "For the wages of sin is death." Finish the sentence there, and well, everyone on earth has a death sentence.

But if you keep reading it says "The wages of sin is death, BUT the gift of God is Eternal Life through Jesus Christ our Lord." While everyone is waiting in jail to be sentenced to death, a man walks in. His name is Jesus, and he smiles and says "Hey everyone, I know you all deserve death, but here's the deal. I am God's Son, and I have never sinned, but I am willing to take your punishment."

The devil laughs and says "Hey Jesus, it will cost your life. Your blood. Your tears. Are you sure these humans are worth it? They will just keep sinning. They will turn from you. What's the point of saving them?"

Jesus says, without hesitation, "Because I love them".

He loves us so much that He was willing to die because of our sins. But that's not the end...

Three days later, Jesus rose from the dead. He literally died and came back to life. He did it to show that death has no grip on him. Hell has no power over the living God. Because He rose from the dead, we all have the gift of Eternal Life. All we have to do is ask.

But should we just keep sinning? Of course not! We died to sin, we should not live in sin anymore. We are free from our sinful nature.

A great chapter of the Bible to read about this is Romans 8. It says "Through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit of Life set me free from the law of sin and death." We are free!

I hope you know Jesus as your personal savior. If you do, I would encourage you to spend more time with Him daily. He would love to give you full peace and assurance, if you will only let him.

If you don't know Jesus, I totally encourage you to read the Bible and hear about the message of Salvation. Then pray a prayer something like this:

God,I know I'm a sinner. I know that I do wrong. I say things without thinking, and I do things that hurt people. Please be in my heart and help me to make the right choices. Help me to share your love and be a beacon of light and hope in a dark land. Help the words I say to be the RIGHT words, and help them show love and not anger or hard feelings. Help me to forgive easily and forget the wrong done to me.God, I want to be more like you. You are holy, true, noble, pure, right, good, amazing, and praiseworthy, and I'm not anywhere near your holiness. Help me to learn your ways.Please let your Holy Spirit live in me. I love you.In Jesus' name, amen.


Thanks for reading :) ~Molly

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goosh! (That is better than saying God's name in vain!)

    Very good post btw!

    Valerie ♥

    ReplyDelete

com·ment /ˈkäment/
Noun - A remark expressing an opinion or reaction.

What is your opinion and reaction to this post?