Sunday, September 21, 2014

MY HEART I OFFER TO YOU LORD, PROMPTLY AND SINCERELY

MY HEART I OFFER TO YOU LORD, PROMPTLY AND SINCERELY

This is the tagline of Calvin College, where we recently stayed to attend a Switchfoot concert. The concert was incredible, and these ten simple words got me thinking.

Promptly and sincerely. So often in our Christian walk we offer our heart to the Lord in one way but not the other. But it’s not the type of offering He desires unless it is both Prompt and Sincere.

Promptly means right now and without hesitation. Sincerity requires the offering of a whole heart, every part, through and through. It’s easy to offer our hearts to the Lord promptly but not sincerely. “Here Lord, take my heart, right now, every part of it except (fill in the blank) and (fill in the blank) and (fill in the blank).” Maybe you only leave out one part, maybe thirty parts, maybe you leave out every part except one part, but the result is the same - it is a prompt but insincere offering.

The alternative, which we often do as well, is to offer our hearts to the Lord sincerely but not promptly. “Here Lord, take every part of me, and I mean every part, here I am. You can have my heart.... tomorrow.” We have good intentions to give Him our all, but maybe we’re not quite ready to let go of everything just yet.

But you can’t have a true, pleasing offering unless it is both Prompt and Sincere. The heart that pleases the Lord is the heart that says “Here I am Lord, all of me, every part, you can have me now.” God doesn't ask you to be ready for surrender, he promises blessings if we fall back into the unknown. God doesn't ask for just part of you, He wants a Prompt and Sincere offering of your heart. As Switchfoot might say, “I want you, all or nothing at all.”

1 comment:

com·ment /ˈkäment/
Noun - A remark expressing an opinion or reaction.

What is your opinion and reaction to this post?