Monday, July 16, 2012

Should've been me

It should have been me. It shouldn't have been Jesus. He didn't deserve it at all. I deserved it. He was perfect. I was a sinner. He died. I lived. There's nothing fair about it. The only word to describe it is LOVE. 

It should've been me
It should've been us
Should've been there hanging on a cross
All of this shame
All of these scars
Should've been stains that were never washed
Why do I hide
Why do you try
Over and over and over again
I guess it just leaves saying thank God
It leaves me saying thank God, thank God
For the should've been


The lyrics above are from a song called Should've Been Me by Citizen Way. I think it's something that we often take for granted. We are alive, and we don't think much about it. But the wages for sin is death. We have all sinned, and we all deserve to die. But Jesus loved us SO MUCH that he died instead. It would have been unjust for God just to take away the punishment without giving it to someone else. God is just. But he is also loving. He knew that we would all sin, and that we would all have to go to Hell for that. 

Rather than letting His children go to eternal separation from Him, He had His Son die. It proves that God is both loving and just. But He is also victorious! Rather than just dying, forgiving us, and calling it good, He wanted us to be able to live with Him forever! Jesus raised from the grave for that!

We need to be careful not to forget that Jesus died for us. He didn't have to do it. He doesn't have to save us. But He loves us like crazy so He did! It should have been us. But because God is loving, it was Him!

No comments:

Post a Comment

com·ment /ˈkäment/
Noun - A remark expressing an opinion or reaction.

What is your opinion and reaction to this post?